It was such an unseasonably warm winter up here in the Pacific Northwest that we’ve literally been swimming in wild greens. And while it seems wrong to benefit from the ill-gotten gains of climate change, you still gotta trust mother nature to know what’s right – right? So if she wants me to feast on her tender and succulent chickweed, miner’s lettuce, garlic mustard and bittercress, so be it.
And that’s exactly what I’ve been doing – so much so that I’ve been casting about for some new exciting ways to take advantage of the green bounty. And I’m pretty happy with this Wild Weedy Bean Dip, I think it’s perfect for cold spring days when you crave something a little more hearty than a salad. You can make it chunky or smooth, however you like.
The wood sorrel adds tart tang, the garlic mustard some pungent garlicky flavour – as does the garlic chive like taste of the crow garlic. I love bittercress for its peppery arugula flavour. You can use any of these and also add in the milder tender leaves of chickweed and miner’s lettuce. I also threw in a few sprigs of savory Bishop’s Weed which is already popping up round these parts!
Clockwise from top left to right: Wood Sorrel, Garlic Mustard, Crow Garlic, Miner’s Lettuce, Chickweed & Bittercress
I used white navy beans (but you could use practically any kind) and added some sunflower and pumpkin seeds for crunch. I love that this bean dip is full of protein, not to mention the nutritional and medicinal properties of the greens themselves. Full of antioxidants, vitamin C, chlorophyll and Omega -3 Fatty acids, Chickweed, Miner’s Lettuce and Peppercress (or Bittercress) are all reputed healers that help boost immunity, ease inflammation, cool inflamed tissues, cleanse our blood, digestive tract and lymphatic system.
Savoury, creamy, and just the littlest bit peppery, it’s perfect served on crackers or flatbread. So if you too have these weeds growing around you – this dip will be sure to please. And if you don’t, just wait a while, these tender, delicious and revitalizing greens will be emerging in a landscape near you very soon!
Wild Weedy White Bean Dip w/ Rosemary
- 1 can of White Navy Beans
- 1/2 cup of sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced or crushed)
- 1 large handful of fresh chickweed, finely chopped
- 1 large handful of miner’s lettuce, finely chopped
- 1 large handful of bittercress, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoons of minced green onion (or crow garlic greens)
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of miso
- Juice of one lemon
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to your taste)
- Mash your navy beans to a rough paste (or you can also give em a quick whiz in the food processor
- Mix in the rest of your ingredients and blend well.
2 thoughts on “Wild Weedy White Bean Dip with Rosemary”
Reblogged this on hocuspocus13 and commented:
That looks bloody gorgeous!